POSTED BY: Flo

First, Kevin & Florella's Joint 2009 Resolutions/Goals:
1. BUDGET--Short and long term finances...tackle our enormous debt.
2. CLEAN--We've done a lot of work on the house since we've moved in (it was pretty gross before), and especially after all the recent plumbing, it's time to pick up the aftermath. I'll post "post" pics sometime, but it'd be better if you came and saw it in person. (Nudge, nudge!)
3. GET FIT--Lose weight by sticking to a workout regime. Simple as that. It's just the "getting started" part that's hard...
4. EAT WELL--We're both veg-folk so "bad" food is usually cut out by default. However, I could do better by replacing sweets with more fruit, yogurt and dark chocolate (in moderation); and Kev could do better by backing off his love affair with cheese & potatoes--I swear, it's like I'm not even in the room. The biggest challenge: replacing coffee with green tea. I've been incorporating it slowly, but sometimes I crack. Baby steps, baby steps...
5. QUALITY TIME--Go on dates, like, once in a blue moon! I think it's more a matter of setting aside time (and $, of course) to spend together that does not include the couch or an episode of LOST or King of Queens.
6. PUPPY TIME--Spend more time training Maki. Even though he's huge now, he's still a puppy and acts like one. So far he knows how to sit, lay down, shake, wave, and he plays dead when you point your finger at him and yell "Bang!" Now, if we can just teach him "Chill"...
7. GROW--Read more. Since the move and many unfruitful attempts to find a job in my field (given all the company closings, layoffs, etc.), I've pretty much unplugged and focused on the move, the house, organizing and trying to meet day-to-day needs. Perhaps this one will happen in time.
8. FUN--Dare I say it. Sometimes a dose of fun can be healthy in the middle of a slump! Kevin is going to start riding his bike to school again as the weather warms up and I'd like to one day take dance lessons. If you're going to exercise, you may as well look silly doing it! Maybe this will finally be the year...
9. GET MARRIED--It would be so nice to spend time planning our wedding, especially since we've announced our engagement to everyone. At times, I do look at dresses/dress patterns, magazine pictures of other couples' ceremonies, even chapels/venues and we do talk about it once in awhile. Unfortunately, it is just too early for us to truly entertain the thought; we must crawl out of the $ hole first. Plus, Kev has family on both coasts who all insist on being at the wedding, so the question of WHERE to have it, is a big one. (His grandparents are flying from Arizona to visit next month, after hearing the news. I can't wait to meet them!) After Kevin graduates in August and after I (fingers crossed) find a Communications job in this town, then we can develop more concrete plans. Until then, it will simply remain as "#9"...

Next, Sarah's questionnaire:
1. When I lived in San Diego, waiting for residency to attend UCSD, I worked as a barista (coffee wench) at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla. I learned that making coffee for "brilliant scientists" is a lot like making coffee for regular folks. I was offered a bartending job at the VFW across the street from my apartment, but decided that making drinks for heroic veterans would probably be a lot like making drinks for brilliant scientists. Having learned my lesson, I decided to take a camp counselor position at the YMCA instead. I worked with over 64 children, daily--who overpowered me, daily. As their music/dance/arts coordinator, my K-12 kids developed the most creative ways of undermining my authority. No, they were really very sweet and full of (mostly) positive energy. It was truly the best job I have ever had. Didn't pay crap, but...
2. Honestly, this is a very personal one, but would be happy to tell you in person some day!
3. Chocolate. Hands down. I am sticking to little pieces of dark choc. only these days.
4. My strength...and YOU, who are reading this!
5. I am a piano woman. Always have been, always will be. Kevin just bought me a beautiful new piece to learn by my fave composer, Chopin. I'm so rusty though--it's been a long time. Hopefully I won't butcher it.
6. Pay hospital bills at collections. Sad, sad reality...
7. Like Grandma, I love landscapes--especially the real ones. It doesn't get much better than that. In terms of 2-D, though, probably photography. My favorite photographer is Jim Nachtwey; all of his photo essays are amazing. (I should mention that having interned at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in KC, I was privy to some of the most beautiful and priceless artwork in the world. One of my faves was the giant classic Water Lillies or "Nympheas" by Claude Monet...so delicate and peaceful. If you'd like to read my work during that time on the Nelson blog, click here!)
8. Hmmm...the Philippines, Canada, Mexico, every US state except DE, MD, WA, OR, AK & HI. I was only three-years-old, but the most influential would have to be the Philippines; it's half of my heritage, my story...who I am!
9. Again, hmmm...I don't know that I 'have' to go anywhere. Home is definitely where your heart is. But if I could go anywhere and cost were not an issue, it would probably be the Philippines again, now that I'm older. I think it would be a much more meaningful experience this time.
10. These are good questions. 'Influenced me most in life so far'...definitely my mother, father, sis and almost all of OUR FAMILY, one of my old piano teachers, a couple of memorable professors, my dear friend Kelly (RIP), my great friend Laszlo, and my fiance Kevin! There are actually so many more who have touched my life in a special way and from whom I have learned something meaningful. I guess that means I've been blessed...

Okay, Sarah. Your turn!

1 Comment:

  1. GINA and KEV said...
    Sarah~ I believe Flo said you're next. We're waiting!! :P

Post a Comment



 
Serenity Blogger Template